The game!

Sunday 29 July 2012

Reconstructive Surgery

Alright.  It's begun.  I dug up a mini I'd previously acquired for AE: Bounty, but never really got around to painting: an Ariadnan Scout, with an Ojótnik rifle and E/Mauler (I still really have very little idea what either of those items are at the moment, but we'll get there!).

Sadly, when I got the mini out, the E/Mauler arm was gone, presumed snapped off.  My models tend to get a good working over through my kids, my son in particular being fond of checking out the latest and greatest.  I assume that is what happened here.

I spent some minutes looking through my various bitz boxes, and although I found some very interesting stuff, the arm was lost.  What to do?  In my searchings, I'd found an extra arm from a Cygnaran Ranger, which was holding a astrolabe or some sort navigational/telescopic device.  With a little clipping, I managed to cut it down to look like a smaller version of (what I remember) the E/Mauler (to be).

Here's what it looked like after the hobby knife attack:


Not particularly pretty, but functional.  May also double as a Forward Observer, once I work out what one of those does!  After a quick re-application of the undercoat (since the pink cloak is hideous!), the mini was looking a little more respectable:

With the Olympics playing in the background, I was able to work for about an hour and a bit on the mini, and on the whole I'm happy with the result.  I need to do some further work on the face (which is a common problem I have when I'm painting) and on the camo of the cloak (not too sure about the grey spots; maybe they could be smaller?).


All in all, a reasonable night's work, and a pretty good vanguard for the rest of the force, which should be arriving mid-week.

Cheers!

PS: The iPad 3 has a great camera!  It's close-up pictures are really pretty good, all in all.  Props to Mrs Cohen for holding the second light-source and to Eric Hill for Spot books.  You guys rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment