The game!

Monday 20 August 2012

More terrain...

Hi there.

Just a short update as I'm really supposed to be studying today... ah well, can't be helped!

First up, terrain.  The local Big Smoke (which really isn't that big until you live in a town of 800 people...) has a Spotlight store, selling craft supplies, fabric, paper, scissors, bed linen, etc.  I was able to steal some time on my day off to go and browse.  So now, in addition to the corkboard buildings being created, I've also got some small cardboard boxes that I'm slowly but surely crafting into buildings.

The first one I tried was using a big cardboard planter box, cutting out some windows, doors and using an iPhone box as main entrance (which is visible in the full board setup I'll be posting soon).  The cardboard was relatively easy to cut, using a hobby knife, and I'd also bought some plastic crocheting sheets, which have made excellent grill windows.  Consensus was that I needed to make the interior playable.  Currently it's more a "display piece".  Lowie was also a little annoyed or disappointed that the space at the top was restricted, as his TO Camo'd sniper would've loved that perch!

The second thing I did was create a simple landing platform.  Using some of the odds and ends from the El Cheapo Máximo playset that I bought, I added steps to the front of it and a small antenna using a tank turret (so no FoW for that one!).  It's come out quite nicely.  Obviously all of these still need painting, but I'm going to wait for some warmer weather to do that.  I'm also hoping that the paint won't warp the cardboard as it dries.

The next step was to turn the other boxes visible in the first pic into something usable.  There were two 9cm x 9cm boxes which have become one room buildings with an annex (visible in the lower left of the full table layout).  Then these two buildings with interior walls (pictured with the glue still drying, roofs on and off).  I wanted something that would break up the sight lines a little more.  During the games, the windows through the buildings became excellent vantage points for tagging things with AROs.  It made the game much more unpredictable!  And fun, too, if I'm being honest.  I enjoyed the challenge of thinking through all the lines of fire that were possible before moving.  Having the roofs removable is interesting too.  I haven't ever had access to buildings that were usable like that before.

I have several more bigger boxes that will be used to create a few more multi-room buildings, and I'm looking forward to putting them together in the next week or so.

That's it for me for now.  I'll probably post up some battle reports later.

Cheers!




No comments:

Post a Comment