The game!

Sunday 26 August 2012

The Cult Grows With More Games

  It's been pretty quiet around here over the last week but we have been busy spreading the gospel of Infinity. Lowie, Cohen and myself have had a few games at our local gaming club and it's been generating quite a bit of interested.  We have another person interested in a PanOceania list, built around a Cutter, as he's really drawn by the mecha-style of the PanO TAGs.  Then we have two interested in Aleph, one being my 14 year old nephew who has put in an order for the Aleph starter set through Slave to Painting (who has an amazing sale on at the moment of 35% of the Infinity range).  The other Aleph player has also ordered through Slave to Painting, but his already ordered a sizable batch of models, to make a 300 point list.  There is also another gamer who really likes the Ariadna Highlander aesthetics.

  I'll give a quick run down of the games I've had since my last post and share some of my thoughts at the end.  I haven't really taken any photographs just yet, because to be honest they would be quite ugly.  My Morats are still not fully painted and our terrain is still in the construction phase.  Cohen has been banging out some really nice buildings, but they are still brown cardboard colour at the moment.  So hopefully soon, I'll be able to start posting up some pretty mid-battle photos to bring you all the action in full colour.

  So in the last week I've had two games against Cohen's Ariadnans, both at 150 points.  I used a Morat Aggression Force in both.  The first list was a HMG Sogarat, Yaogat Lieutenant and three Vanguard Infantry.  I got caught up using suppressing fire from my Sogarat and Yaogat to keep his Ranger's head down, which gave Cohen time to flank me.  Then a string of luck for him (three criticals in a row!) saw my poor Morats gunned down.  I'll let him cover the game in more detail as he took a few photos and was planning to write up a brief report.

 The second game, I used a Kurgat with Autocannon, the three Vanguards, a Yaogat Lieutenant and another with Boarding Shotgun.  We played a mission that had three AI pods scattered about the battlefield that we had to disable and recover.  Sadly the pods had HMGs with Total Reaction and we deployed them in a way where they had clean LoF to at least one other pod.  This meant to recover them we were going to have to disable all of them.  I quickly decided to hold back and let Cohen fight the pods and then I could swoop in and mop up, although not before I lost a Yaogat to a pod through careless movement.  Cohen disabled two pods, and I did take out a third.  I ended up losing my Vanguards and Yaogat Lieutenant, which saw my Kurgat who was hugging cover at the back of the table, leg it off the field, but at least Cohen was only left with three models in this game. 

  I also had a game versus Lowie's PanO Knights.  This game went to plan quite well for me.  His impetuous Magister Knight cross through some open game and got gunned down in a crossfire of my Sogarat and two Vanguards.  My Sogarat did take a Panzerfaust to the chest from his Teutonic Knight, but in my next turn, I passed my Automedikit roll and my Sogarat slowly regained his feet and shot up his Teutonic Knight (to my hummed version of the Rise of the Machines theme music!).  As the smoke cleared at the end, I had only lost one Vanguard Infantry and Lowie's force was wiped out.

  I must say, its been mostly a hard road for my Morats.  I've made a few mistakes in games with movement and such, but I think I've found in these smaller 150 point games, my low miniature count is really hurting my play style.  I usually only have five or six, but three of those are Vanguard Infantry.  I have been trying to use my Vanguard aggressively in a link team but they have lost one to AROs pretty quickly in the games so far, breaking the link, meanwhile my more expensive Yaogats and Sogarat are getting flanked and taken out.  As suggested by Solodice on an early post, I might try out a four-man Yaogat link team.  Their extra armour and extra body should make it less vulnerable to snapped off AROs in the start of the game.  And I am also looking forward to starting to play some larger games, so I can add more bodies and still keep some toys.  Also I plan to buy a Zerat soon, as both Lowie and Cohen are running a few camo'd guys, I figure I need to keep up!

  So with these thoughts, I've also been toying of the idea of getting a second army in the shape of an Ariadnan Merovingienne force.  I really like the look of the Metro miniatures, creeping through desolate city alleys in their civilian-esque armour.  In the list I have chosen for it, I have nine guys at 150 points.  So it should pay quite different to my Morats as well.

  I leave the delving into the FRRM idea fully for another post.  For now, it's time to finish off the paintjob on these Morats!

2 comments:

  1. Hey don't worry about the loses with your MAF. I'm learning along with you on how to use them (1 win 5 loses) as well after a year of playing Aleph. MAF or any CA troops are hard to use a 150 points because of the lack of orders you have access to. My MAF seem to hate playing at 150 as they always get the snoot beat out of them. Now when you get more points to use you can bump up your order reserve by a few (8 or 7 is a lot better then 5 or 6).

    4-man Yaogat link teams can bring some heavy firepower to the table in there Panzers, Spitfires, and MSR. Keep in mind (like I have) that they are slow. A nice little tip would be to play them defensively until you can get a sense of what they can do.

    Also the Zerat doesn't have camo she has mimetism. MAF doesn't do fancy tricks like camo or the sorts as they are just a big stick that you beat your opponent with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I missed that with the Zerat! Still Mimetism, Infilitration and a big Sniper Rifle will give me another option to look at in games.

    ReplyDelete