The game!

Saturday 11 August 2012

Tokens, Templates and Tents... Well, Kinda



There are a couple of things you need a lot of to play Infinity, or so it seems.

The first is the biggest one, and that's terrain.  If there's been one thing that has stood out in those first few games, it's that open sight lines will kill you.  With that in mind, I've had some corkboard lying around the house for some time, and with a quick trip to the general store to buy the smallest nails they sell, I took the time to carve it up and make some buildings, watched by Master Cohen, my son.  He avidly used my few Space Marines as scale markers and fought an epic last stand on the bombed-out building once it was complete.  I'm proud to say: my son is a wargamer in the making.  I win.

Cork is an interesting material to work with.  It is perfect for carving ruins out of, since the crumbling of the edges looks great when painted.  But I also think it's good for more solid constructions.  I have some more ideas I'm looking forward to trying out, like an L-shaped building a little taller than the ones in the pics here.  The debate this arvo was whether or not to make the roof removable to facilitate thru-play in the buildings themselves.  I'm still undecided.  What do you think?

All in all they turned out well, playable at the very least.

The second thing you need lots of is tokens and templates.  I ordered a lot of 100 25mm slotta bases from eBay (some seller in the UK... it was a great deal!) and they arrived very quickly, quickly enough that I now have 50+ tokens for wounds and camo and the various other things one needs.  I got the rulebook printed, spiral-bound, at a local printer, and with that I also acquired the tokens sheets printed on 100GSM gloss paper.  They looked really purdy once printed, but cutting them out proved almost their undoing.  The gloss paper and the printing on it peels off if not careful.  I was also to get a permanent marker and redo the edges; they've turned out alright and will certainly be functional (and certainly cheaper than 'official' ones)  I used some old CDs to support the explosion and smoke templates and laminated the flamer ones.  I'm waiting for some 25x50mm cavalry bases to mount the Suppression Fire tokens on, but they're on their way.

The other thing that is visible in the picture is my ol' faithful Focus markers from my Warmachine/Hordes days.  These will stand in as order markers for the time being.

The question remains though: do I have enough?

Time will tell!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, I was debating that. I got a bunch of cardboard craft boxes today that will be turned into buildings, and all of them bar one will have removable roofs (rooves?).

    ReplyDelete